www.stockholm360.net
 Gallery: The Louvre Museum (Musée du Louvre)
stockholm360.net


Virtual Tours and Panoramic images.

Click on "Fullscreen" under each image to see high resolution panoramas or
click on "Small Java" to see a smaller version of the panorama

The Louvre Museum (Musée du Louvre)

The Musée du Louvre or officially Grand Louvre, in English, the Louvre Museum or simply the Louvre in Paris, France, is one of the world's largest museums, the most visited art museum in the world and a historic monument.

The museum is housed in the Louvre Palace (Palais du Louvre) which began as a fortress built in the late 12th century. The building was extended many times to form the present Louvre Palace. In 1682, Louis XIV chose the Palace of Versailles for his household, leaving the Louvre primarily as a place to display the royal collection.

The Musée du Louvre houses 35,000 works of art drawn from eight departments, displayed in over 60,000 square meters of exhibition. In the 1st arrondissement, at the heart of Paris, France , The Louvre is one of the best known major visitor attractions in France.

Currently 26 panoramas in this collection

Salon Denon

The vestibule of Room Denon, the Salon Denon (named after the first director of the Louvre Museum under Napoleon I), located at the other end of the room, whose extraordinary ceiling painted by Charles-Louis Müller glorifies state patronage in France. This vestibule associated the dual function of the Palais du Louvre, monarchic and artistic, for it also led to two galleries of paintings (now the Salle Daru and the Salle Mollien).

2011-04-03
Show on map


Salon Denon
Fullscreen        Small Java


The Mona Lisa Room

In this room you will find the most famous portrait painting of the world, Mona Lisa (by Leonardo da Vinci). Anybody that visits the Louvre Museum for the first time, wants to see this lady if this is the only work that has to be seen. But this is not the only masterpiece in the room. Opposite to Mona Lisa you can see The Wedding Feast at Cana (by Veronese), a huge (6.77 x 9.94 m) painting, which depicts Jesus 1st miracle, where he turns water to wine. This room is full of wonderful Italian paintings, but these 2 paintings steal the most of the attention.

2011-04-03
Show on map


The Mona Lisa Room
Fullscreen        Small Java


Michelangelo Gallery

The Galerie Michel-Ange (Michelangelo Gallery), with its magnificent marble floor houses the Italian sculptures, notably Michelangelo's famous Slaves.
In the Michelangelo Gallery at the Louvre (Musée du Louvre), the visitors crowd around this idyllic image of a loving couple: a winged man and a swooning woman in a voluptuous embrace, their lips about to join in a kiss. take a closer look at this masterful composition of Psyche and Cupid.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Michelangelo Gallery
Fullscreen        Small Java


The Salle Daru

The Salle Daru was created and decorated in 1863 for the imperial museum, as conveyed by its red and gold decor (the French imperial colors). In this section of the Louvre Museum (Musée du Louvre) you can see Davids masterpiece The Consecration of the Emperor Napoleon and the Coronation of Empress Joséphine along other large-scale French Neoclassical paintings.

2011-04-03
Show on map


The Salle Daru
Fullscreen        Small Java


'Raft of the Medusa' in Salle Mollien

The Salle Mollien was created and decorated in 1863 for the imperial museum, as conveyed by its red and gold decor. It houses large French Romantic paintings such as The Raft of the Medusa, July 28. Liberty Leading the People and The Death of Sardanapalus are on display here.

2011-04-03
Show on map


'Raft of the Medusa' in Salle Mollien
Fullscreen        Small Java


Cour Marly

Completed in 1857, these were occupied by the Ministry of Finance from 1871 to 1989. The Cour Marly was covered with a glass roof designed by Ieoh Ming Pei (the architect of the Pyramid) and opened in 1993. It now contains statues from the park at Marly, Louis XIV's favorite residence. The terraced floor provides a splendid setting for the works, bathed in constant natural light.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Cour Marly
Fullscreen        Small Java


Cour Puget

The Cour Puget formed part of the wing of Napoleon IIIs palace. It was initially given over to the Ministry of State, which was in charge of large-scale building projects, and later, from 1871 to 1989, to the Ministry of Finance. Since 1993, under a glass roof similar to that of the Cour Marly, it has housed outdoor statuary from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Cour Puget
Fullscreen        Small Java


Darius Palace

Vessel handle in the form of a winged ibex with its hooves resting on a mask of Silenus Its back legs rest on a mask of Silenus, a figure associated with the cult of Dionysus and wine-drinking, alluding to the function of the metal vessel. The king and his court would take these gold and silver pieces with them on military campaigns.
Rhyton (drinking horn) with gazelle protome This silver vessel testifies to the taste for luxury tableware among the dignitaries of the Achaemenid Empire. Animals were often chosen to decorate these splendid pieces in an Iranian tradition reaching back thousands of years. In Iran, animals appeared on painted pottery in the 4th millennium BC, especially on the large bushels found at Susa.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Darius Palace
Fullscreen        Small Java


Darius Palace, Apadana (Audience Hall)

Capital of a column from the audience hall of the palace of Darius I (510 BC).
This colossal capital from one of the thirty-six monumental columns which supported the roof of the apadana at Susa is evidence of an architectural tradition purely Iranian. It is typical of Achaemenid art in combining elements taken from different civilizations to form a coherent stylistic ensemble.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Darius Palace, Apadana (Audience Hall)
Fullscreen        Small Java


Darius Palace (Frieze of Griffins)

Panel with sphinxes These decorative panels of polychrome glazed brick come from the palace of Darius I at Susa (510 BC). A pair of winged lions with bearded human heads sit facing each other. Above them hovers the winged disc of Ahura-Mazda. This complex traditional iconography is rendered in a pure Persian style
Frieze of Griffins
The artists of the Achaemenian period inherited a pictorial vocabulary rich in mythological creatures. The griffin-lion, often represented at Susa, is here pictured on an element of architectural decoration from the palace of King Darius I the Great (522-486 BC). It featured here alongside the lion and the winged bull passant on reliefs made with bricks, with or without colors.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Darius Palace (Frieze of Griffins)
Fullscreen        Small Java


Painters of Louis XIV

The room of paiters of Louis XIV in the department of French Paintings.
Louis XIV commissioned the portrait of himself as a gift for his grandson Philip V of Spain. It remained in the royal collections until after the Revolution, when in 1793 it was handed over to the Muséum Central des Arts de la République, later known as the Musée du Louvre (The Louvre Museum).

2011-04-03
Show on map


Painters of Louis XIV
Fullscreen        Small Java


Napoleon III Apartments (Grand Salon)

The new Louvre opened by Napoleon III boasted a number of sumptuous reception halls. Those of the Palais des Tuileries have unfortunately been lost. However, the rooms in the Ministry of State, opened in 1861 in the Aile Richelieu, have retained their decor of gold, stuccos, marble, bronze, silk and velvet. They also feature ornate painted ceilings. Running parallel to the small rooms, the entrance gallery leads to the large hall (the "salon-théâtre"), the small dining room, and the large dining hall.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Napoleon III Apartments (Grand Salon)
Fullscreen        Small Java


Napoleon III Apartments (The Salon Théâtre)

The new Louvre opened by Napoleon III boasted a number of sumptuous reception halls. Those of the Palais des Tuileries have unfortunately been lost. However, the rooms in the Ministry of State, opened in 1861 in the Aile Richelieu, have retained their decor of gold, stuccos, marble, bronze, silk and velvet. They also feature ornate painted ceilings. Running parallel to the small rooms, the entrance gallery leads to the large hall (the "salon-théâtre"), the small dining room, and the large dining hall.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Napoleon III Apartments (The Salon Théâtre)
Fullscreen        Small Java


Napoleon III Apartments (Dining Rooms)

The new Louvre opened by Napoleon III boasted a number of sumptuous reception halls. Those of the Palais des Tuileries have unfortunately been lost. However, the rooms in the Ministry of State, opened in 1861 in the Aile Richelieu, have retained their decor of gold, stuccos, marble, bronze, silk and velvet. They also feature ornate painted ceilings. Running parallel to the small rooms, the entrance gallery leads to the large hall (the "salon-théâtre"), the small dining room, and the large dining hall.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Napoleon III Apartments (Dining Rooms)
Fullscreen        Small Java


French Romantic Sculptures

2011-04-03
Show on map


French Romantic Sculptures
Fullscreen        Small Java


French Romantic Sculptures 2

2011-04-03
Show on map


French Romantic Sculptures 2
Fullscreen        Small Java


Diana in Salle des Caryatides

The room contains the Louvre's collection of Roman copies after Greek originals from the Hellenistic period. The Diana of Versailles, a slightly over lifesize marble statue of the Greek goddess Artemis (Diana), with a deer, in the Musée du Louvre, Paris. It is a Roman copy (1st or 2nd century AD) of a lost Greek bronze original attributed to Leochares, c. 325 BC.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Diana in Salle des Caryatides
Fullscreen        Small Java


The Musée Charles X

The Musée Charles X is housed in nine rooms in the south wing of the Cour Carrée. It was under the reign of Charles X that the best artists of the time were commissioned to execute the decoration, inspired by the Antiquities collections. The painted ceilings of the first four rooms evoke Homer, Pompeii and Herculaneum.

2011-04-03
Show on map


The Musée Charles X
Fullscreen        Small Java


Cour Khorsabad, Assyria

This courtyard houses the impressive remains of the palace inaugurated in 706 BC by King Sargon II (721-705 BC) in Khorsabad (northern Iraq). He created an immense city that required a huge workforce. Carefully proportioned monsters, the fruit of mathematical calculations, guarded the gateways.

Lion-taming spirits were part of a complex architectural and decorative system governed by artistic and religious criteria. They symbolized divine and royal power, and the calm strength that emanated from them protected the palace and ensured the continuity of the ruler's power.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Cour Khorsabad, Assyria
Fullscreen        Small Java


Anne of Austria's summer apartments 2

Between 1655 and 1658, Anne of Austria, the queen mother and regent during Louis XIV's childhood, created a suite of private apartments on the ground floor of the Petite Galerie. The six interconnecting rooms (a common arrangement at the time) comprised a large salon, anteroom, and vestibule, a grand cabinet (study or private sitting room), a bedchamber, and a petit cabinet overlooking the Seine. The decoration was carried out by the Italian Romanelli (frescoes and ceilings) and Anguier (stucco).

0000-00-00
Show on map


Anne of Austria's summer apartments 2
Fullscreen        Small Java


Anne of Austria's summer apartments

Between 1655 and 1658, Anne of Austria, the queen mother and regent during Louis XIV's childhood, created a suite of private apartments on the ground floor of the Petite Galerie. The six interconnecting rooms (a common arrangement at the time) comprised a large salon, anteroom, and vestibule, a grand cabinet (study or private sitting room), a bedchamber, and a petit cabinet overlooking the Seine. The decoration was carried out by the Italian Romanelli (frescoes and ceilings) and Anguier (stucco).

0000-00-00
Show on map


Anne of Austria's summer apartments
Fullscreen        Small Java


Le Brun room (The Battles of Alexander The Great)

4 huge paintings of Alexander's adventures by Charles Le Brun, royal painter to Louis XIV are found in here.
Passage of the Granicus River Alexander's 1st clash with Persians just after crossing Granicus river entering Asia in 334 BC.
The battle of Arbella (Gaugamela) The final clash between the armies of Alexander and Darius III, 331 BC
Alexander in Babylon Alexander makes his triumphant entry into Babylon, the administrative capital of the Persian Empire in 331 BC.
Alexander and Porus Four soldiers carry the wounded Punjabi king Porus before Alexander in the Battle of the Hydaspes River in 326 BC.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Le Brun room (The Battles of Alexander The Great)
Fullscreen        Small Java


Babylon

Neo-Babylonian period, reign of Nebuchadnezzar II (604-562 BC) Babylon, Iraq. This glazed-brick relief was once part of the decoration of the walls that lined processional path at Babylon, during the period when the city was at its apogee under the Chaldean dynasty. The lion is shown with his jaws open in a menacing manner. He is the vigilant guardian of the long life of the city and the prosperity of its inhabitants.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Babylon
Fullscreen        Small Java


Salle du Manege (Antique Sculptures)

Greek, Etruscan, and Roman Antiquities
This department oversees works from the Greek, Etruscan, and Roman civilizations, illustrating the art of a vast area that encompasses Greece, Italy, and the whole of the Mediterranean basin, spanning a period that stretches from Neolithic times (4th millennium BC) to the 6th century AD.

2011-04-03
Show on map


Salle du Manege (Antique Sculptures)
Fullscreen        Small Java


The Louvre Museum Main Entrance

The main entrance through the pyramids.

2011-04-03
Show on map


The Louvre Museum Main Entrance
Fullscreen        Small Java


Cour Carrée

The Carrée court yard. In 1660 Louis Le Vau was appointed to oversee the completion of the Louvre. This entailed a new facade for the Petite Galerie, the completion of the north wing of the Cour Carrée,

2011-04-03
Show on map


Cour Carrée
Fullscreen        Small Java


Click on the "Fullscreen",
when opened hold down the left mouse button in the image and navigate to any direction.

To view the Gallery panoramas in full screen you need Adobe Flash.

facebook       stockholm360.net on facebook

All images & panoramas are Copyright stockholm360.net © 2006-2011

Last updated May 22, 2011